Thursday, December 8, 2011

Too much science or too little?

This is either a question of too much science or too little, in the bidding.

Here's the hand and the actual auction:
I open 1C even though I have a bear of a rebid problem if partner responds 1S or 1H. I am not strong enough to jump or reverse, so I will have to bid 2C. And 2C seems awfully weak for a hand with such playing strength.

Nevertheless, I open 1C.  Lefty overcalls 1S and partner bids 2D.  This is, of course, music to my ears.

Probably best at this point is 4NT, RKC for diamonds.  But I decided that I'd wait to see where partner's 10+ points were.  So, I made the only other forcing bid available to me. I bid 2S.  First mistake: too much science. Just check for aces already.  Partner would have bid 5S (2 aces + queen of trumps). And we'll be in 6D. If partner has zero or one ace, he bids 5C or 5D and we are not too high.

Anyway, I bid 2S and partner trots out 2NT. From his point of view, my 2S is a search for 3NT.  He is telling me that he has spade stoppers.  From my point of view, this is the worst possible news. If partner has KQ of spades and a smattering of heart and diamond honors, 5D is the best we can do.  I duly bid the diamond game.  Second mistake: too little science.  I still had Gerber (4C) available to me.  I could have cheaply checked for aces by bidding 4C.

Anyway, 5D making 7 was a near-bottom.  All the new partnerships bid the slam.

1 comment:

  1. You know that I'm the science guy, so you will not be surprised to learn that I like your 2S cuebid. It does mislead me temporarily (I took it as probing for 3NT, as you wrote), but 5D next makes it all clear.

    I think this one is on me, I should just bid 6D at the end. At the (virtual) table I actually thought right away this might make but got too worried about all the spade losers in my hand. Basically, I failed to appreciate how helpful your club suit is.

    4NT right away seems a stab in the dark to me, you don't know what my hand looks like. After your sequence, I know your hand pretty well and should be able to make an informed decision.

    ReplyDelete