Monday, November 26, 2012

Play what you preach

BBO has a nice program where juniors get to play with the basic robots for free. I signed up both our kids.  The best thing about the robot tables is that I have the time to explain stuff -- the kids don't have to play quickly to avoid annoying other people. Robots, for all their faults, are infinitely patient and don't say a cross word!

Any way, back to the story.  The 10 year old was playing at a table with three robots over Thanksgiving weekend when he picked up this hand:


12 points, balanced. A rather nice 12-point hand, with two aces. What would you do with that South hand?

"You need 13 points to open," I had told the kid and so he smartly passed.  Now, partner opened 1NT (15-17) and the 10 year old had no problem bidding 3NT.  The Jack of clubs was led and the contract was quickly wrapped up for two overtricks.

+6 imps for the kiddo.  Curious, I looked at why such a routine contract was worth 6 imps.  Turns out that most Souths opened the hand 1D and now West overcalled some number of Hearts and NS had a hard time getting to 3NT.

I was describing my son's fortunate pass to partner on my way to the club game today. So, the hand was firmly in my mind when I picked up:
.
Vul: None
Dlr: South
N
North
Qxxx
Qxx
Kxx
xxx
.
W
West
AJ9x
xx
Jxx
Jxxx
Lead: A
E
East
10
AKxxx
Axxx
Axx
.
S
Me
Kxxx
Jxx
Q10x
KQx
.
What would you do with that South hand? It's a balanced dog and ought to be passed in any system. But ... I opened it and partner found himself down three in 2S;  -150 was a matchpoint bottom.

I should have listened to the advice I give my children!

1 comment: