Thursday, May 17, 2012

6-5 come alive ... but twice?

So, would you or wouldn't you? Bid 5C with my hand that is:



Dealer: N
Vul: Both
North
♠ K105
♥ J10987
♦ 54
♣ 983
West
♠ Qxxx
♥ KQxx
♦ Axxx
♣ x
East
♠ AJxxx
♥ Axx
♦ KQ
♣ Qxx
South
♠ 2
♥ 3
♦ J9xxx
♣ AKJxxx

Bidding:
P-1S-2NT-3S
P-4S-5C(?)-P
P-5S-P-P
6C(!)-X-P-P
P
HTML Bridge Hand Layout Creator

2NT is the minors, so I have already shown my hand.  Since we are playing min-max Michaels, partner said he thought my 5C bid was promising a monster distributional hand.  That is not the hand I have, to put it mildly.

I played 6C doubled for down 3, but because no one bid the spade slam, -800 was a bad board for us.

On the other hand, overbidding worked out well for us on this hand.  My four small spades and singleton diamond convinced me to take a shot at 3H.  I ended up playing the hand at 5H and made it when west got end-played into leading clubs for me (or giving me a ruff-and-sluff).


Dealer: W
Vul: EW
pard

♥ AK10x
♦ KQJxxx
♣ Jxx
West
♠ KQxxx
♥ Qxx
♦ xxx
♣ Ax
East
♠ AJxx
♥ Jx
♦ xxx
♣ Qxxx
me
♠ xxxx
♥ xxxx
♦ A
♣ K10xx

Bidding:
1S-X-2S-3H
3S-4H-4S-P
P-5H
HTML Bridge Hand Layout Creator

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Lak,

    Does West have only a doubleton diamond on second hand?

    On first hand, I think the combination of strength and length differential between the minors would have caused me to simply overcall 2C: after all, I do not want partner to prefer diamonds on three small support over clubs on two small support. (Btw, your West's 3S call looks like a serious underbid to me. Really, there is very little I support of EW auction after the opening bid .. and even then some players might choose to have opened 15-17 1NT.)

    Your call as advancer on second hand is a tough one. 2NT (if "two places to play") seems a reasonable choice, rewarded if doubler is, for example, 1=3=5=4 or the like. I am old-fashioned (maybe "out of touch"?) and would not consider a responsive double, as I prefer to play that would show both minors and deny four hearts. I strongly agree with your judgment not to let the opponents play 2S; the issue is how to compete to our best three level partial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diamonds were 3-3, but West had a doubleton club. Thanks for catching that.

      Good point on over-calling 2C.

      Delete