Thursday, July 4, 2013

Defending low level contracts is hard

At the club game, we are at 65% and leading with the last board to go, although we don't know that at the time.  The hand is:
.
Vul: None
Dlr: North
N
Pard
x
AQxx
K10xx
Qxxx
.
W
West
KJ109xx
xx
Qx
Kxx
E
East
xx
KJ10xx
AJxx
Jx
.
S
Me
AQxx
xx
xxx
Axxx
.
Partner deals and starts off the bidding:
W
West
N
North
E
East
S
South
11
1
Dbl
22
Dbl
Pass
?
(1) 2+ diamonds, 10-15 points
(2) natural, weak

What do you bid?  I passed and we were defending 2S.  Is that what you would have done?

Now put yourself in my partner's shoes.  What do you lead?

Partner led his 4th highest diamond.  Declarer ran it to his Queen and took a diamond finesse. On the Ace of diamonds, he threw a club. Then, he led a low spade to his 10 of spades, which won. Then, he led a heart.

Partner jumped up with the Ace and led the king of diamonds. I threw away my remaining heart and declarer ruffed.  The position was now:
.
Vul: None
Dlr: North
N
North
Qxx

Qxxx
.
W
West
KJ9x
x
Kx
E
East
x
KJ10x
Jxx
.
S
South
AQx
Axxx
.
At this point, declarer led a heart to the king, I ruffed.  What do you play at this point?

I led a low club from my hand and put declarer to the guess. He guessed wrong.  Partner won with the queen.   He then played his queen of hearts. I threw away a club and declarer threw away his king of clubs.  At this point, we have won a heart ruff, two hearts and the club queen.   We need to win two of the remaining three tricks.  If partner had led a club, we would have set it since declarer would ruff and then lead into my ace-queen, but partner ended up leading his low heart, forcing me to ruff in front of declarer.

2S doubled and made was a bottom of course. We dropped to 61% but it was still good enough to win.  So, as mishaps go, this turned out okay.

In spite of the misdefense at the end, the real problem with this hand is the bidding.  Partner's hand goes down in value once his LHO bids hearts and my hand goes down in value once my LHO bids spades. We should have gone quietly into the night. Note that declarer would have made legitimately if he had guessed either the clubs or the hearts right.

Secondly, once they bid a suit I have implied, partner's double should have been 100% penalty, but he thought it was for takeout. At the table, I thought that this might be the case, and knowing this, I should have bid 3C.  Defending low-level contracts can be hard, and I should not have been torturing partner by leaving his double in.

1 comment:

  1. Bridge winners poll on the bidding problem:

    http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/bidding-problem-1888/

    and partner's lead problem:

    http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/lead-problem-95/

    ReplyDelete