Sunday, April 8, 2012

Rookie errors

I ended up going to New York City on work last week and since I'd had such a good time around Valentine's, I decided to see if I could repeat the experience at the Manhattan bridge club. Bill, very graciously, agreed to play with me again and we played East-West in a 12-table game.

Unfortunately, I didn't play all that well, committing a number of rookie errors on defense. These were the two most egregious, in that they converted what would have been a cold top for a bottom. If I'd gotten either of these defenses right, we'd have been in contention to win. As it was, we finished with a 52% game for fourth place.

First, this hand where as East, I held 63 1043 A5 AJ10986.  South bid 1S after two passes and I overcalled 2C.  North raised to 2S, West competed to 3C and the opponents bid 3S which Bill promptly doubled.  What do you lead (and why?)

I made the only lead -- the Ace of diamonds (hoping to score one of my spades with a diamond ruff) -- that lets them make with no sweat.  This is the full hand:

Dlr: N
Vul: All
Q85
K86
Q8643
Q3
63
1043
A5
AJ10986
J102
AQ7
J102
K752
AK974
J952
K97
4

Declarer can always make if he guesses to lead to the Queen of diamonds and ducks on the way back. Still, most declarers in the room went down one and the doubled contract down one would have been a clear top. Instead, the doubled contract making was a clear bottom.

Rookie error #1: A simple passive defense where I don't cash or underlead either Ace is best once partner has said he holds defensive strength.

Another of the hands-that-made-a-difference was this one.  Against 3NT, partner leads the 2 of hearts (fourth highest).  You hold:   10872 K9 1087 Q1053.   Dummy comes down with   A953 QJ8 932 976 and you are ready to play the King of hearts over dummy's Queen. But declarer calls for a low heart.  What do you play (and play smoothly)?

I erred, playing the 9.  If declarer had the Ace, he would have called for the queen. Ergo, he must have the 10. More to the point, I have a stinking doubleton. I need to unblock the king of hearts.  Beating 3NT would have been a top. Letting it make with an overtrick was a bottom.  This was the full hand:

Dlr: W
Vul: All
KJ4
10753
KQJ
AKJ
10872
K9
1087
Q1053
Q6
A642
A654
842
A953
QJ8
932
976

Rookie Error #2:  I could have taken my time since it was, after all, the first trick where everyone takes their time whether or not their king is finessable.

2 comments:

  1. On the second hand, are you likely to beat 3NT?

    You win the HK at Trick 1 (on the redo), and probably switch to a club (a diamond turns out better, but would you know that? -- maybe you would if opening bid were 1C). Declarer hops high on the club and plays hearts back. Let's say your partner wins the third round of hearts, and continues a club (would he?). Now declarer has two hearts, two spades, and three clubs. He drives the DA. If partner wins the second round of diamonds, declarer retains a diamond stop and even an unsuccessful spade finesse leaves him with nine tricks. If partner holds off two rounds, declarer can cash out nine tricks and will go down only by taking and losing a spade finesse and then finding that he loses not only the DA but also the thirteener diamond.

    Hard to predict whether play would follow that course, but I am not at all sure that had you played the HK you would have defeated 3NT.

    Even after you play the H9, would it not be natural for declarer to continue hearts?: he has a sure second trick in that suit coming after knocking out the two high hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    I think my best return if the king of hearts holds is to return a heart. No need to break another suit for declarer.

    You are right -- 3NT can not be beaten as long as declarer realizes that he needs a club finesse to get 9 tricks and takes it when he's in with the Ace of spades.

    ReplyDelete